Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Cheesy Bacon Cream Biscuits


 Source: Melissa's Southern Style Kitchen -
visit her here: http://melissassouthernstylekitchen.blogspot.com/

My sons are like all other Southern boys, they love a hot biscuit!  I must confess, I don't make fresh biscuits every morning...gasp...but, when those big blue eyes look up and me and say "Pleezzzz" this is the recipe I can whip up in a hurry.  Most cooks here in the South have their own unique way of making cream biscuits, and this is my favorite way that has sort of evolved over the years in my kitchen.  All of the recipes are so similar, starting with self rising flour and cream.  This variation is my families favorite, and I am happy to share it with you.  Serve them fresh and hot straight from the oven for breakfast or dinner.

You'll need:
2 cups self rising flour [*see cook's note]
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream plus 2 Tbsp
2/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp cream to brush the tops

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.  In a mixing bowl
sift together the sugar and flour.  Add the 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of cream.


Stir together just until moistened then add the shredded cheese and bacon.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and using floured hands, pat into a rough circle about 1/2-3/4 inch thick.  I ALWAYS use my silpat, it makes my life so much easier!  I don't knead this dough any further, because I want the biscuits to be moist and rise beautifully.


I used  a 3 inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour and I yielded 7 biscuits.  You can cut these into any shape or size, you like, of course.  Place onto the baking sheet.


Brush the tops with additional cream and they'll be golden and shiny when you pull them from the oven!  Bake for 12-13 minutes until golden.  Prepare yourself for the "oo's and aah's."


Serve hot! Yield: 7-8 3 inch biscuits

Cook's note:
*Self-rising flour substitute:  For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment